I posted my Spicy Pesce-Vegan Seafood Gumbo, which was amazing but I decided to make a special rendition. This one is strictly vegan and a healthier option, so here’s my Vegetable Low Sodium Gumbo. This gumbo utilizes more fresh jalapeno peppers, which are low in sodium with 3 milligrams of sodium per cup, and other low sodium options. It is great for those with high blood pressure or those just trying to lower their sodium intake with just 188 milligrams of sodium per 8 ounce serving of gumbo!
- 2 32 ounce boxes of low-sodium vegetable broth (Pacific Organic Broth)
- 8 cups of water
- 2 tablespoon of Louisiana Gumbo Base
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 5 diced red potatoes
- 2 bunches of green onions
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 3 chopped yellow squash
- 3 chopped zucchini
- 4 chopped fresh jalapeno peppers (1 cup)
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- Pour the vegetable broth, water, gumbo base, and garlic powder into a large gumbo pot. Place it on medium heat until it is fully heated while stirring every few minutes.
- Add the diced red potatoes to the pot and let that cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the green onions, cilantro, squash, zucchini, jalapeno peppers, mushrooms, and yellow onion into the pot.
- Let that simmer on a low heat for 25-30 minutes.