It is a well known fact that the more colorful your vegetable and fruit intake is, the more nutrients you are providing your body with. Red, purple, and blue fruits and veggies contain high levels of antioxidants. Orange and yellow contain vitamin C, potassium, and folic acid. Green contains vitamin A, vitamin K, and calcium. So when I’m about to cook a dish, I always challenge myself to see how colorful I can make it and that is how this vegetable medley tomato pasta came about.
- 1 box of penne pasta
- 16 ounces of fresh green beans (Nutrients: vitamin B1, vitamin A, vitamin E, protein, iron, omega-3 fatty acids)
- 2 red peppers (Nutrients: vitamin c, vitamin B6, folate)
- 2 yellow bell peppers (Nutrients: vitamin C, Niacin, folate)
- 1 yellow onion (Nutrients: biotin, dietary fiber, vitamin B6, and potassium)
- 24 oz. tomato sauce (Nutrients: vitamin K, vitamin C, copper)
- 1 tbsp. of dried basil
- 2 tsp. of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 tsp. of black pepper
Step 1: Bring a pot of hot water to a boil and let the penne pasta cook in the boiling pot until it is tender.
Step 2: Drain the water from penne pasta with a strainer and pour the pasta back into the pot.
Step 3: Pour the tomato sauce into the pot and mix in the garlic powder, salt, pepper, and basil.
Step 4: Chop the bell peppers and onions.
Step 5: Heat a skillet with 2 tbsp. of olive oil on medium heat and then mix the green beans, bell peppers, and onions in the skillet. Allow that to cook until it is thoroughly sauteed.
Step 6: Mix the sauteed vegetables into the pot with the tomato sauce and let that cook for an additional 5 minutes before serving.